About Burgundy Bourgogne Farm
The Huguenot Pierre de Villiers and his two younger brothers, Abraham and Jaques were originally from the town Bar-sur-Seine in Bourgogne in France. In 1689 they came to the Cape on the Zion from the Netherlands. The farm Bourgogne (66 morgen, 900 square roods in size), was granted by Simon van der Stel to Pierre de Villiers on 18th October 1694. Pierre married Marie Elisabeth Taillefert in 1694. He died in 1720 but Bourgogne stayed in his wife’s estate until her death in 1735 when it was sold to Pierre Roux from the neighbouring farm La Bri. Pierre Roux was married to Suzanne de Villiers, daughter of Jacques de Villiers of La Bri, and he became owner of that farm after his father-in-law’s death.
Roux kept Bourgogne until his death in 1771 and the farm then went to his son Jean, who was already settled at Keerwerder. In 1775, Jean handed the farm to his son Johannes who was then only 23 years of age and in 1777 Johannes sold the farm to Jacob Marais of Groot Drakenstein who erected a T-shaped dwelling with the 1791 gable which displayed his initials and those of his wife (Johanna Jacoba Theron). Jacob died in 1796 and his wife sold the farm to her Nephew David Jacobus le Roux in 1800. David was married to Martha Marie Hauman, the daughter of Pieter Eduard Hauman from La Bri who then sold to his son-in law Petrus Albertus le Roux two months later. Up until then the farm consisted of 66 morgen, 400 square roods freehand land and 30 morgen, 557 roods quitrent land. From 1864 sub-divisions occurred when Petrus divided the farm between his three sons, Petrus Albertus (Part A), David Albertus (part B) and Abraham Joza le Roux (part D) as well as his son-in-law David Josef Daniel Pepler (part C). The homestead was situated on part D.
In 1880 Abraham Joza le Roux bought 21 morgen, 539 square roods from his father Petrus Albertus and in 1897 swopped his farm (part D) for parts A and B of his sister in law Helena Maria Hugo. She then sold the farm to her son Eduard Christiaan le Roux.
Probably the earliest visual document of the homestead is a sketch by Trotter which was made around 1900.
There are also a few photographs taken by Arthur Elliott in 1910 which show the corrugated iron roof that was put on after a fire in 1907 which destroyed the old thatch roof. Eduard Christiaan le Roux was married to Margaretha Johanna Cronje who owned the farm after her husband died in 1940. Their son, David Jacobus le Roux (1915 – 1998) bought the farm in 1956. He was married to Johanna Margaretha Haumann (born 1918) and after his death their son, Eduard Christiaan le Roux took over the farming under certain conditions of a trust. In 1977 the Burgundy homestead, because of its historical significance was declared a national monument.
The farm was sold to Trevor and Tracey Kirsten on 30th March 2001. Shortly afterwards they contracted Len Raymond of Daljosaphat Restorations to restore the homestead. After historical research and recommendations from the South African Heritage Resources Agency, work began on the building in March 2001. Strict conservation processes were followed and a year later Bourgogne Burgundy became a magnificent home to the Kirsten family. An extensive replanting programme commenced to turn Bourgogne Burgundy into a top class wine estate with a 300 ton wine cellar planned for the year 2004 and production starting in 2005.